Sonos is planning to roll out a software update for its iPhone app and wireless remote which will mean that a pair of its all-in-one S5 speakers to could used as a so-called "Stereo pair" - where one outputs audio from the left channel and the other outputs audio from the right.
The software update, which brings the version number up to 3.2, will mean that the already-powerful speakers could be used to pump up the volume further than is currently possible. At the moment, each Sonos S5 contains a left and a right channel already, so putting two together would mean L and R channels coming out of both sides.
The update isn't yet available, but we're hearing that it should be launched at some point during May. Good news for those who already own a pair of S5s, but those who don't are facing a bill of more than £700 to get their home wired up to take advantage of the new features.
UPDATE: Sonos has now issued an update which includes the following new features:
- iheartradio on Sonos - Sonos customers in the U.S. can now enjoy the iheartradio service for free, providing instant, computer-free access to more than 750 of America’s favorite local radio stations as well as exclusive digital stations like Christina Aguilera Radio, CBGB Radio, Radio Weezer, AT40 with Ryan Seacrest, Jim Rome, Dr. Laura and much, much more.
- Crossfading - Customers can create smooth transitions between songs just like the DJs do. You can select the crossfading playback mode from the Now Playing screen for any tracks in your music library, plus select music services including Last.fm, Napster, Pandora, and Rhapsody.
- S5 Stereo Pair setting – This innovative audio feature allows customers to use two Sonos S5s in the same room with one S5 serving as the left channel and the other as the right channel.
- Japanese and Simplified Chinese language support – Customers using the Sonos Controller for iPhone , the Sonos Controller 200 and the Sonos Controller for Mac or PC can now control Sonos in 9 languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Swedish.
- New alarm settings – Sonos customers can now customize alarms for different days of the week. Wake up to your favorite radio station on one day and a Pandora station or playlist on another. Set the room, the time and the music for any or every day of the week.