(Pocket-lint) - Sometimes you just have to reset your Apple Watch - as in, erase it completely. Maybe you forgot your passcode, for example. Maybe it's acting funny and not connecting properly. Maybe your audio is acting up. No matter the situation, here is what you do. It takes less than a minute, is completely free to do, and doesn't require you to contact Apple Support. You can thank us later.
How to factory reset or 'erase' an Apple Watch
Simply follow the steps below on your Apple Watch to reset it. This works on all models of the Apple Watch, including the latest ones.
- Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
- Go to General > Reset.
- Tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your passcode.
Do you have an Apple Watch with cellular?
If your Apple Watch has a cellular plan, you'll see two options: Erase All and Erase All and Keep Plan.
- To completely wipe your Apple Watch, choose Erase All.
- To wipe and then restore it with your cellular plan in place, select Erase All and Keep Plan.
You can also open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap My Watch, go to General > Reset, then tap Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings.
Can't access Settings on your Apple Watch?
If you can’t access the Settings app on your Apple Watch, because perhaps you’ve forgotten your passcode, follow these steps:
- Put your Apple Watch on its charger
- Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
- Press and hold the Digital Crown
- Tap Reset.
- After your Apple Watch restarts, pair it with your iPhone.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone
- Follow the on-screen instructions on your iPhone and Apple Watch.
Want to know more?
Check out Apple's support hub for more tips and tricks.
Pocket-lint also has the following reviews and guides on the Apple Watch, if you need help figuring out which model is best for you or how to work the darn thing once you have it on your wrist:
- Apple Watch Series 7 review: There's no better smartwatch
- Apple Watch SE review: The smarter choice for your wallet
- Apple Watch tips and tricks: Hidden secrets of watchOS revealed
- How to keep fit with Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Series 7 vs Watch SE vs Series 3 comparison
- Which Apple Watch and strap is right for you?
- The best Apple Watch bands