That's right. Apple didn't forget about its Siri speaker. CEO Tim Cook featured the product during the final minutes of the iPhone XS keynote presentation. He said an upcoming update to the smart speaker will let you search for songs via Siri by asking about specific lyrics. You’ll also be able to make and receive phone calls from HomePod. You'll even be able to ping your iPhone should you lose it.
- Apple HomePod features: Everything you need to know
- Best Apple HomePod tips and tricks
- Apple HomePod review: The smart sounding speaker
Another cool feature: the ability to set multiple timers on the HomePod. Multiple timers is a must-have for any smart speaker, and it has been sorrily missed on the HomePod since the device launched. We don’t have a specific date for when these new features will automatically roll out to the speaker, but if we had to guess, they could arrive with iOS 12. That update is due to hit iOS devices next week.
Apple's Gather Round event for the new 2018 iPhone models is happening on 12 September 2018 at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California. The show will start at 10am PT (6pm in the UK). You can watch the action unfold for yourself from here.
For more details about what the company announced, check out:
- New iPhone models: See our iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR guide.
- New Apple Watch: See our Apple Watch Series 4 guide.
- iOS 12 release date: See our iOS 12 guide.
- MacOS Mojave release date: See our Mojave guide.