(Pocket-lint) - Did you know Amazon offers equaliser and sound controls for Alexa? That means you can easily adjust how your Echo sounds with commands like “Alexa, increase the bass.” It’s a great option that users had been clamoring for years - ever since Amazon first launched Alexa alongside its Echo devices. Here's what you need to know, including how the feature works.
- Best Alexa tips and tricks: Get more from Amazon's assistant
- Which Amazon Echo to buy? How to pick the best Alexa device
How do Alexa's EQ and sound controls work?
- Control bass, midrange, and treble
- Also control playback for environment, such as movie or night
Amazon's equaliser (EQ) and sound mode controls for Alexa let you personalise the tone of the audio playing on your Echo speakers, as well as any connected AV receivers and soundbars. They affect three bands (defining audio frequency ranges): Bass, midrange, and treble.
You can refer to the bands by name to strengthen or weaken low-to-high audio frequencies, as well as Modes (equaliser presets for playback), such as movie, music, or night, so you can fine-tune playback of a type of music or environment.
For technical details, see Amazon's release here.
Which commands adjust Alexa's EQ and sound?
It's as easy as saying to your Echo: "Alexa, turn [up/down] the [bass/treble/midrange]" or "Alexa, set the [bass/treble/midrange] to [-6 to 6]".
Here's a few examples of what you can say:
- “Alexa, increase bass.”
- "Alexa, increase bass in living room."
- “Alexa, set movie mode.”
- "Alexa, set night mode on bedroom TV."
- "Alexa, set bass to three on sound bar.”
- “Alexa, decrease treble."
How to turn on Alexa's EQ and sound controls
No need to activate them; they've automatically rolled out to all users. Just use one of the voice commands above to get started.
Can you use the Alexa app to adjust EQ and sound?
- Open the Alexa app.
- Go to Devices.
- Select Echo & Alexa, and then select your device.
- Select Audio Controls and use the sliders to manage your settings.
Which devices support Alexa's EQ and sound controls?
- Amazon Echo devices
- Select Alexa-enabled devices
The new EQ features are for devices from the Amazon Echo family of devices. They're also supported on select Alexa-enabled devices that use the Alexa Voice Service. For instance, Sonos incorporated mode control into the Sonos Beam.
Can you reset Alexa's EQ and sound?
If you don't like how you've adjusted Alexa's EQ and sound and want to revert it back, simply say: "Alexa, reset the equaliser."
Want to know more?
Check out Amazon's help hub for Music with Alexa.