There are plenty of smart home security cameras available to help you keep an eye on the inside of your home from wherever you may be, but there are also now a number of options for keeping check on the outside too.
In the past, security systems for around the home were not cheap. They often involved professional installations and some serious monthly fees. That's no longer the case though, with several companies offering smart security cameras that are not only easy to set up but discreet too.
Some offer built-in speakers so you can speak to the postman if you aren't home, while others feature built-in floodlights to deter any intruders when motion is detected. Here are some of the best outdoor smart home security cameras we have come across. You can also read our separate feature on indoor cameras if you are looking to keep an eye on the inside of your home too.
- Measurements: 110 x 48mm, 240g
- Features: Night vision, weatherproof, speaker, microphone
- Camera: 1080p video recording, 116-degree wide angle
- Power: Wired or wire-free
- Operating temperature: -20°C to 45°C
- Recording access: 24 hours with unlimited downloads and social sharing (without subscription)
- Subscription cost: £7.99/month or £79/year for 30 days history
The Canary Flex is weatherproof and it can be used indoors or outdoors, recording 1080p video day or night. It can be plugged into the mains, or used wire-free and recharged.
The Flex features a 360-degree magnetic swivel base that is mounted to a flat surface, while the camera snaps into place on the base and can twist in any direction you want. Like others on this list, there are a range of other accessories available too.
There is no extra hub to connect to your router, it features a built-in speaker and microphone and it comes in black and white colour options. Canary offers 24 hours of video viewing without a subscription after which you pay a flat rate a month or year for 30 days history.
Logitech Circle 2
- Measurements: 86.4 x 71.1 x 66mm, 207g (wired), 96.5 x 81.2 x 94mm, 340g (wire-free)
- Features: Auto night vision up to 5-metres, two-way talk, 8x digital zoom, adjustable pan and tilt, weatherproofing, person detection with subscription, Alexa and Apple HomeKit compatibility
- Camera: 1080p video recording, 180-degree wide angle
- Power: Wire and wire-free options
- Operating temperature: TBC
- Recording access: 24 hours unlimited streaming and downloads (without subscription)
- Subscription cost: Basic £2.99/month for 14 days, or Premium £7.99/month or £79.99/year for 31 days
The Logitech Circle 2 is available in wired and wire-free models, both of which are weatherproof and both of which can be installed inside or outside of your home. It will film in 1080p day or night, like many of the others on this list, but it has a slightly wider field of view at 180-degrees.
Logitech claims the Circle 2 can be set up in minutes, it doesn't require an additional base station attached to your router and the wire-free, battery-operated model is claimed to last up to three months before it needs recharging. Like the Netgear Arlo further down this list, there are a number of extras that can be bought for the Circle 2, including a backup battery and weatherproof extension cable.
You'll be able to see 24 hours of recorded video without a subscription, but if you want to go back further, you'll need to sign up to one of the Circle Safe plans. The Circle Safe Premium plan adds person detection, motion zones, and advanced event and alert filters on top of the features that come with the Free plan and Basic plans.
- Measurements: 200 x 110 x 50mm, 1kg
- Features: Night vision, weatherproof, 12W dimmable LED floodlight, person, car and animal detection
- Camera: 4MP sensor, 1080p video recording, 100-degree wide angle
- Power: Plugged in
- Operating temperature: -20°C to 50°C
- Recording access: MicroSD storage up to 32GB (8GB card included for up to 100 videos), no cloud recording
- Subscription cost: No subscription
The Netatmo Presence is a security camera and light in the same device, recording 1080p video day and night and capable of detecting people, cars and animals up to a customisable 20-metres.
The LED floodlight can be switched on manually or set to switch on when it detects a person, animal, car or all three, while the Presence's weatherproofing means it is able to withstand rain, snow, moisture, dust and dirt.
Netatmo doesn't offer cloud recording, with all videos stored locally on the microSD card. An 8GB storage card comes with the device, but you can switch it out for higher storage if you wish. It will support class 10 cards up to 32GB.
- Measurements: 72 x 44 x 66mm, 123g (camera), 55 x 215 x 165 mm, 320g (base station)
- Features: Night vision, weatherproof, IFTTT compatibility, custom modes, smart scheduling
- Camera: 720p video recording, 110-degree wide angle
- Power: Wire-free, battery-powered
- Operating temperature: -10°C to 50°C
- Recording access: Seven days viewing, downloading and sharing (without subscription)
- Subscription cost: Premier £6.49/month or £64/year for 30 days of cloud recordings or Elite £9.99/month or £99/year for up to 60 days cloud recordings
The Netgear Arlo can be used inside or outside of your home and it is both weatherproof and wire-free, meaning you can set it up wherever you choose rather than be reliant on power sockets.
You'll need to connect the base station to your Wi-Fi router, after which you'll be able to sync your Arlo camera, or cameras. Each Arlo camera offers motion alerts and will film 720p video day or night. You'll get seven days of cloud recordings without a subscription.
There are also numerous mounts to choose from and various skins if you want to change the look of your camera, or make it blend in better with its surroundings.
Nest Cam IQ Outdoor
- Measurements: 128 x 93 x 93 mm, 568g
- Features: Night vision, weatherproof (IP66 rated), 12x digital zoom, speaker, three microphones
- Camera: 8MP, 4K sensor, 1080p video recording, 130-degree wide angle
- Power: Wired
- Operating temperature: -40°C to 45°C
- Recording access: 3 hours (without subscription)
- Subscription cost: £4/month or £40/year for 5-days history, £8/month or £80/year for 10-days history or £24/month or £240 a year for 30-days
The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor is for outdoor use only, this is the updated version of the Nest Cam IQ but designed for outdoor use. This camera is IP66 rated and capable of resisting temperatures from -40°C to 45°C. This is a wired camera that needs power from inside your home, but it offers secure wiring options directly through the backplate to avoid exposing the wires to the world.
It will record continuously at 1080p resolution day or night and will send notifications if it detects movement, sound, someone talking or people in general. A large and powerful two-way communication system allows you to talk to visitors or scare off intruders, so this camera is feature-packed and flexible. It also features a Supersight zoom technology that will track and follow people as they approach your home as well as "familiar face" detection to distinguish between visitors and family members with ease.
The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor offers access to footage online via a browser or a smartphone app with notifications directly on your phone or via email with screenshots.
Without a Nest Aware subscription, you'll be able to see activity from the last three hours and get alerts for motion and person detection. With the subscription, you'll get up to 30 days footage, as well as other benefits including the ability to download important footage, more intelligent alerts and other features such as activity zones and clips.
Y-Cam Outdoor HD Pro
Buy the Y-Cam Outdoor HD Pro for around £180 on Amazon.co.uk
- Measurements: 200 x 65 x 110mm, 420g
- Features: Night vision up to 15-metres, weatherproof (IP66 rated), detachable sun shield, customisable recording zones
- Camera: 1MP sensor, 720p video recording, 109-degree wide angle
- Power: Wired
- Operating temperature: TBC
- Recording access: Seven days rolling storage for three years (without subscription)
- Subscription cost: £5.99/month or £59.99/year for 30 days history
The Y-Cam Outdoor HD Pro looks a little more like a traditional security camera than others on this list. It is IP66 weatherproof, comes complete with a detachable sun shield and it is a wired device that also requires a port on your router.
It will record 720p video day or night, and it will send alerts to your smartphone when motion is detected. You'll be able to set up daily recording schedules, as well as customisable recording zones, such as doorways.
Y-Cam offers seven days of rolling video storage for three years, but it also offers a subscription for those that want to have 30-day access to their video clips.
Ring Floodlight Cam
- Measurements: 150 x 250 x 150mm, 2200g
- Features: Dual LED floodlights, 110-decibel alarm system, two-way audio system, custom motion zones, 270-degree ultra wide motion sensor
- Camera: 1080p video recording, 140-degree wide angle lens
- Power: Wired
- Operating temperature: -30°C to 48.5°C
- Recording access: No access to cloud footage without subscription
- Subscription cost: £2.50/month or £25/year for 30 days history
Ring is perhaps best known for its video doorbells but the company also offers an outdoor smart camera that includes powerful floodlights, a loud alarm and an ultrawide angle motion detection system.
The Ring Floodlight Cam is capable of differentiating between objects and people with a passive infrared sensor system that's clever enough to detect objects, cars and animals within the vicinity. It also allows you to adjust these settings to your own needs. Like other cameras on this list, the Ring Floodlight Cam also includes intelligent motion zone settings and the ability to record 1080p video day and night.
Access to recorded footage requires a monthly subscription at a small additional cost but with floodlights, an alarm system and two-way audio, this camera is a brilliant option for those looking for a deterrent based smart home camera.