Mobile carrier Three has revealed that a staggering 97 per cent of all traffic on its network is data - leaving only 3 per cent for calls and texts.

With the tablet revolution in full swing, mobile broadband becoming the norm and smartphones more common than a square of green space on Clapham, we knew that mobile web access would be on the rise. But 97 per cent is a surprisingly massive ratio.

Three, of course, has its hands firmly dipped in the mobile broadband market with its Huawei Mi-Fi dongles on offer alongside USB dongles, as well as offering most of the latest smartphones and tablets with data contracts.

On the smartphone side, Three has reported a 427 per cent increase in data usage for users in the period June 2010 - September 2011.

"You know, back in 2003 when we began our journey as a 3G network, it felt at times like the technology we had at our fingers' tips was a bit Tomorrow’s World," said Phil Sheppard, director of network strategy at Three UK.

"It was ahead of its time, and few knew how 3G and mobile data could really be relevant in people’s lives particularly with a lack of decent handsets.

"Fast forward to today, in a market flooded with tablets and smartphones, and there can be no denying the importance of a reliable, powerful network like ours."

Three Mi-Fi Mobile Wi-Fi (Huawei E585) review