Nokia and Masushita have made a joint statement regarding the battery advisement warning from last week.
In a clear message to consumers, the industry and the business world at large, Nokia obviously wants it to be known that it was not to blame for the fiasco.
The statement reads: "Nokia and Matsushita Battery Industrial Co Ltd. of Japan are in agreement that Matsushita will cover the direct costs related to the August 14, 2007 product advisory on Nokia-branded BL-5C batteries".
Comments from relevant executives then follow: "Nokia and Matsushita have a long business relationship and the two companies are cooperating closely together in this situation", said Masatsugu Kondo, president of Matsushita Battery.
"Matsushita Battery has agreed to cover the direct costs associated with the product advisory, including, among other things, logistics costs, call center costs, and replacement battery costs."
"The safety of our customers and the reliability and quality of our products are our top priorities", said Robert Andersson, head of Nokia Customer and Market Operations.
"We are pleased with the good cooperation between Nokia and Matsushita. Together we aim to serve consumers in the best possible manner and minimize the inconvenience this issue could cause them."
Nokia's CEO, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, was recently quoted as saying: "We are investigating into it. But of course they are responsible to us", when asked about the problems.
The battery warning involved 46 million Nokia mobile phone batteries, the news stories below will provide further links to Nokia for more information about the official advice.