Orange France, the official operator partner for the Apple iPhone in France, has reveled to Pocket-lint at a press event in Paris the amount of units it has sold.

Although the numbers of iPhones sold by France Telecom was announced in February, the company has told Pocket-lint the break down of how many phones it sold with a contract and how many it sold without.

86% of that 90,000 were sold with one of Orange's four iPhone-specific price plans, while the remaining 14% were sold without - a legal requirement in France for this to be offered.

In the UK the iPhone operator O2 has previously confirmed that the iPhone is the company's fastest selling device it has ever had in the UK, however stopped short of saying actually how many it sold.

In January Apple claimed to have sold four million iPhones worldwide, with a nine million target for the year.