Toshiba has launched the "all new" Portégé M700 tablet PC series. Toshiba says the fourth gen M700 "redefines the tablet PC experience and embraces touch technology".
Falling into the "Pen Computing" category, it's operated with a digitised pen as well as a touch sensitive display to allow direct fingertip control as well.
The touch screen can also be used as a virtual mouse with the Windows Vista Touch Pointer and "highly accurate" handwriting recognition is also included thanks to Microsoft Office OneNote 2007.
The Portégé M700's LED backlit display features an anti-glare coating that enables the tablet screen to be viewed both indoors and out.
Toshiba's EasyGuard features, such as integrated fingerprint recognition, TPM and advanced password functions are backed up by the shock protected chassis with HDD Protection as well as spill-resistant keyboard help avoid accidental damage.
The Portégé M700 is available in multiple configurations using Intel Centrino VPro technology and includes wireless communication via 3G HSDPA 3.6mps as well as Wireless LAN.
The M700 weighs 2kg and offers a battery life of up to 4.5 hours. The Key specifications for the Portégé M700, in Toshiba's words:
* Processor/Technology: Intel Centrino Pro processor technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7250 (2.00 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
* Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Business Edition (pre-installed) or Genuine Windows Vista Business Edition (pre-installed) + Genuine Windows XP
Professional Edition (as recovery media on DVD-ROM)
* Display: 12.1-inch WXGA LED antiglare Backlight indoor/outdoor wide view angle display, resolution: 1,280 x 800, high-brightness: 200 cd, with Digitizer with Touch function
* Hard disk: 120GB (5400rpm), Serial ATA
* System memory: 2 x 1GB, maximum expandability: 4GB, technology: DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
* Optical device: Slim SelectBay DVD Super Multi (Dual Layer) drive
* Graphics adapter: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, up to 384MB total available graphics memory with 2 GB system memory, 16x PCI Express (Supports "Smart External Monitor" (4:3 & 16:10 ext displays)
* Pointing device: Active Digitizer only (Pen & Ink) / w/Touch (Pen, Ink & Touch), Touchpad, Tablet Pen (reserve pen in storage bay)
* Wired communication: Gigabit Ethernet LAN, International V.90 modem (V.92 ready)
* Wireless communication: Wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g + a/b/g/Draft-N, Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
* Dimensions: W x L x H: 305 x 239 x 37.4(front)/39.4(back) mm, weight: 2.0kg with Slim SelectBay DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive
* Warranty: 3-year international warranty.