(Pocket-lint) - The Black Friday sales often bring some great deals for popular Chromebooks. These laptops are normally more affordable than Windows or Apple models, great for tasks that revolve around browser-based activities, like working with online apps - common for many schools.
It's still some time before the Black Friday sales start properly - that's not expected until close to 26 November, which is the date Black Friday falls on. In hte week before that date, you'll usually find the big discounts start and that's when you need to be looking.
We'll be keeping an eye on the deals and highlighting the best buying options right here. If you're looking for other laptops, we have a full selection of the best Black Friday laptop deals right here.
What to look for when buying a Chromebook
The thing to remember about Chromebooks is that you really want to look for a still-supported laptop with a minimum set of features and specs.
It should have access to Play Store apps and services. It should also have at least 4GB of RAM and 16GB of storage (32GB of storage is better, but not needed, and going for more usually drives up the price). You also want to look for an Intel processor. If it runs a MediaTek or something else, it'll still work perfectly fine; we just find Intel Chromebooks have more oomph to them.
Once you've found all that, you can get fancy and look for large touchscreen laptops or 2-in-1 convertibles with high-res displays. Or, you could go the other way ... say you're looking for a throwaway device to give to your destructive kid. Then, by all means, go for bare-bones, like 2GB of RAM, a smaller 11-inch "HD" screen, and a black, plastic body and traditional form factor.
Where are the best Chromebook deals?
You'll find Chromebook deals from a wide range of retailers during the Black Friday sales period. We'll be highlighting the best deals below, but you can also jump straight to retailers and browse for what you want via the links below.
US Chromebook deals
UK Chromebook deals
You can click on the links below to jump to the section relevant to you.
The best Chromebook deals in the US last year
• Acer 15.6 inch Chromebook for $206.99 ($22 off): This Chromebook has 4GB of RAM and is the perfect choice for a high schooler or college student who needs something to get their work done. View the deal at Best Buy.
• HP 14-inch Chromebook for $249: This Chromebook from HP is over half off and features a AMD A4-9120C accelerated processor and a 32GB eMMC flash memory. View the deal at Best Buy.
The best Chromebook deals in the UK last year
• Asus C523 15.6-inch Chromebook - now £279, £50 off (was £329): Powered by Intel Celeron and with 64 GB eMMC, and 4GB RAM, this is a robust and fairly light - 1.2kg - Chromebook for everyday basic use. Check out the Asus C523 deal at Currys.
• Asus Chromebook Flip C433 14-inch Full HD touchscreen laptop - now £399, save £100 (was £499): An absolute cracking deal for a convertible Chromebook with Intel Core m3, 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage. Check it out at Currys
• HP x360 14-inch 2 in 1 Chromebook - now £399, save £100 (was £499): A great 14 inch Full HD touchscreen Chromebook powered by an Intel Pentium Gold 6405U processor and with 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC. Check out this HP Chromebook deal at Currys.
• Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 Chromebook - now £399: A 14-inch 2 in 1 Laptop with a mid-range Intel Core i3 plus 64GB of storage - if you need more power check out the Windows versions below. Get this Lenovo deal from Currys PC World.
• Asus Chromebook Flip C436FA 14-inch Full HD touchscreen laptop - now £799.99, save £200 (was £999.99): An absolute cracking deal on a top-end Chromebook - Intel i5-10210U, 8GB RAM, 256GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD. Check it out at Amazon UK or John Lewis.