A few years back, Microsoft and Amazon partnered up so that users would be able to access Cortana on Alexa devices and Alexa on Cortana devices. Now, while that agreement is a little out of date, it still means that Microsoft's consoles have Alexa support.
- How to get started with Amazon Echo and Alexa
- Best Alexa tips and tricks: Get more from Amazon's assistant
How to use Alexa to control your Xbox
The Xbox Skill for Alexa is now available in the US, as well as a few other territories, allowing you to use your voice to navigate and interact with Xbox. For example, if you have the Xbox skill enabled on your Echo, simply say, “Alexa, launch Forza Horizon 5,” and then it will automatically turn on your console, sign you in, and launch the game. Here’s how to get started...
To open Alexa, say, “Alexa, open Xbox”.
You can also do the following:
- Sign into the Xbox you want to control.
- Tap here, sign in with your Amazon Account.
- Tap Enable.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account to link the skill (here).
- Let Alexa discover your console.
- Follow the instructions to pair your console with Alexa.
- Now, try a command.
Which Alexa devices work with Xbox consoles?
The Xbox Skill works with Alexa devices, as well as Windows 10 PCs, Amazon Echos, Harman Kardon Invokes, or Sonos Ones. Microsoft said the Alexa app on iOS and Android will also support voice commands to control your Xbox console.
Voice commands that work with Xbox consoles
With the new Xbox Skill, you can use voice commands to adjust volume, launch games and apps, start and stop broadcasts on Mixer, capture screenshots, and more. So, just say the name of your assistant, followed by one such command. Some examples:
- Alexa, tell Xbox to open [app name].
- Alexa, tell Xbox to turn on.
- Alexa, tell Xbox to start Sea of Thieves.
- Alexa, tell Xbox to pause.
- Alexa, tell Xbox to turn it up.
- Alexa, tell Xbox to record that.
- Alexa, tell Xbox to start a party.
- Alexa, start [game name].
- Alexa, pause.
- Alexa, play.
- Alexa, watch [app name].
- Alexa, turn on [device name].
- Alexa, turn off [device name].
- Alexa, volume up on [device name].
- Alexa, volume down on [device name].
- Alexa, mute [device name].
Visit the Xbox Insider Subreddit for more commands. You can also just say “Ask Xbox what can I say?” to learn about more commands.