(Pocket-lint) - Pokemon Go fans have a new quest: Shiny Magikarp.
The popular game has an event going on right now that honours water-type Pokemon, and as part of an effort to get people playing Pokemon Go, the app is offering up highly coveted shiny Pokemon. These have never been spotted in the app before and are obviously hard to find. They can transform and have different colours than standard Pokemon. So, if you happen to catch any shiny Magikarp, you're doing well.
They are collector's items that evolve into powerful red Gyarados, which are featured prominently in Pokemon Gold and Silver. Although spotting a golden Magikarp won't be easy, you should keep in mind that the Water Festival makes water-type Pokemon of all kinds more common everywhere. Nevertheless, it only has a discovery rate of 220 standard Magikarp to one shiny, according to Kotaku.
- Help! Pokemon Go isn't working: How to fix common Pokemon Go problems
- Pokemon Go top tips: Master the Pokemon mayhem
- Pokemon Go Gym tips: How to battle, train and win
You'll need to do some leg work to catch shiny Magikarp, but once you do, you might as well pick up this hat that Niantic, the game's developer, has begun offering in the in-game shop. Niantic said its special event ends on 29 March at 4 pm ET.
- Pokemon Go: How to play and other tips and tricks
- What is Pokemon Go and why is everyone talking about it?
- Pokemon Go: Best, worst and craziest places people have found Pokemon
- London through the eyes of Pokemon Go
- Pokemon Go: 11 amazing, mind-boggling facts about the AR game