Sony has announced that system software update v.2.20, for PlayStation 3, planned for release in late March, will add Blu-ray disc "Profile 2.0", that they are also calling BD-Live.
This follows update 2.10's addition of the Bonus View Blu-ray profile and means the PS3 will now be able to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games, and more - when such discs are available later this month.
In addition to BD-Live, the system software update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP.
In addition, Sony says the following features will also be included in the system software update:
· "Resume play" will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.
· "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
· PS3's internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.
· DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
· "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.