Praise be to Apple. An iPod is being credited as saving a girl's life in a tidy bit of tabloid reporting from The London Paper.

14-year-old Sophie Frost from Essex escaped with just minor burns and singed hair after her iPod's headphones apparently diverted the "deadly blast" away from her body. Her iPod is now described as "frazzled".

The story goes that Sophie was hiding under a tree with her boyfriend during a storm when "the 300,000-volt blast struck, knocking her unconscious".

"I don't remember a thing about what happened, but from what everyone tells me it's a miracle I'm still here", Sophie said.

"Everybody's said the iPod must have diverted the lightning away from my body, which probably saved my life. I've got a few burns, but it's all healing OK".

Sophie's mum, said: "The doctors say her iPod saved her. Her nan only bought it a few days ago. Luckily, she wasn't actually wearing the headphones. If she had been, she might not be here today".