Competing against Canon's 16.7 megapixel DSLR, Fujifilm has announced it S3 Pro Digital SLR camera ahead of Photokina.
Based on the companies Super CCD SR II the new sensor will produce 12.34 million effective pixels in 6.17 locations, combining 6.17 million high-sensitivity S-pixels and the same number of low-sensitivity R-pixels.
Fujifilm is boasting the cameras ability to not have to shoot in RAW mode but be able to produce JPEG images straight from the camera, which require no post-production.
For the first time on any digital SLR, a pre-exposure Live Image Mode has been incorporated to enable photographers to frame and focus images without the need to use the viewfinder.
FinePix S3 Pro features at a glance:
* Super CCD SR II sensor delivering 12.34 million effective pixels (6.17m S-pixels + 6.17m R-pixels)
* 4,256 x 2,848 (12.1 million) recorded pixels
* Film Simulation Modes to replicate the results of various reversal and professional portrait colour negative films
* Improved and adjustable dynamic range by changing the mixing ratio of the 'S' and 'R' pixels
* Dual shutter release buttons (for horizontal/vertical orientation)
* Dual LCD monitors
* New 2", 235,000 pixel LCD monitor
* Sensitivity: ISO 100, 160, 200, 400, 800, 1600
* Dual flash interfaces to support hot shoe and synchro terminal options
* D-TTL flash metering
* Nikon F-Mount for compatibility with Nikon lenses
* Nikkor D and G-type lens support
* High speed dual image interfaces (IEEE 1394 and USB 2.0)
* Live Image Mode for accurate image preview, focusing and framing
* Lightning fast start-up
* Selectable RAW capture modes
* USB 2.0 and FireWire connectivity
* xD-Picture Card(tm) and CompactFlash(tm) / Microdrive(tm) media slots (compatibility information available at www.fujifilm.co.uk)
* DC-IN, Video Out, PC Sync terminal
* HS-V2 Ver. 3.0 software included with the camera
The FinePix S3 Pro will be available from UK retailers in late October 2004 however pricing has yet to be set in the UK