If you use Facebook Messenger, you know that it shows when you're online and last active. Now, Instagram does the same thing. However, although the new option is enabled by default inside of Instagram’s settings menu, you can toggle it off - something you can't do in Messenger. Here's how to hide your activity status on Instagram, plus how to tell if someone is online.
- What is Instagram Stories and how does it work?
- Instagram video: What is IGTV and how does it work?
- How to download and view your Instagram data report
How to hide your Instagram activity or online status
Those of you who don't want people to see when you're online in real-time do have the option to turn off Instagram's new Show Activity Status feature, though, if you do, you won’t be able to see anyone else's activity.
To change the visibility of your activity status:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap the gear icon (iOS) or three dots (Android) in the top right.
- Tap Activity Status.
- Tap the toggle next to Activity Status to turn off your activity status.
Note: Just like in Facebook Messenger, there's no option to disable read receipts on Instagram. Direct messages (DMs) always show as “seen” once recipients have opened them.
Who can see when you're active on Instagram?
Your followers can't see when you were most recently on Instagram. Only people you follow or have previously had direct conversations (DMs) with will see how many minutes or hours ago you were online. This feature makes sense for Instagram users who rely on the service to chat with businesses or creative professionals and want to see whether they're online or even quickly respond.
How to tell if someone is online on Instagram
There are a few ways to see when someone's online or active:
- You'll see a green dot near their username and photo in your Direct inbox.
- You'll see a green dot near their username and photo elsewhere on Instagram.
- In your direct inbox, you'll see their most recent activity status.
Note: Recent activity status will show as: Active 25m ago, Active yesterday, Seen, Typing, etc.
Want to know more?
See our Instagram guides for more tips:
VideoProc is a complete video processing toolbox for both Windows and Mac that can easily edit, resize, convert, enhance, stabilize & adjust any (4K) videos easily videos from GoPro, DJI, iPhone and any devices at fully GPU accelerated speed. Especially skilled at processing 4K videos with 30fps / 60 fps /120 fps /240 fps, large-sized videos and high speed videos shot with 120fps/240fps and slow-mo videos. Free Download of VideoProc by visiting "GoPro Studio".