Thinking about your digital legacy after you die is something most people are starting to do, no matter how morbid it sounds.
Facebook is one of the few services available that have an established way of dealing with account management in the event of a user's death. The idea is that Facebook user can set an executor of sorts, officially known as a legacy contact, who will have limited access to their account. This will allow them to tie up the account and leave it there as a memorial of the person's life.
So, how do you ready your account for that inevitable day? And what will happen when it's set to go? Here's what you need to know.
What happens to your Facebook after death?
Your Facebook account can be deleted after death, or it can be memorialised with a legacy contact appointed as an account manager.
Memorialise your account
A memorialised Facebook account shows the word "Remembering" next to the person's name on their profile. Depending on the privacy settings of the account, friends can still share memories on the memorialised profile, and content the person shared remains visible to the audience it was shared with originally. Most importantly, no one can log into a memorialized account, and without a legacy contact, it can't be changed.
- A Facebook account will be memorialised after Facebook becomes aware of your passing. Learn how to request the memorialization of an account from here.
What is a Facebook legacy contact?
A legacy contact is someone you can choose to manage your account if it's memorialised. They must be 18 years or older and a Facebook user.
If you add a legacy contact, they can:
- Write a pinned post for your profile, like share a final message on your behalf.
- View posts, even if you had set your privacy to Only Me.
- Decide who can see and post tributes, if th account has an area for tributes.
- Change who can see posts that you're tagged in.
- Remove tags of you that someone else has posted.
- Respond to new friend requests, like old family members who weren't yet on Facebook.
- Update your profile picture and cover photo.
- Request the removal of your account.
So, by choosing a person to have access to your Facebook account after death, you're not leaving your deepest secrets to them. Access is limited.
How to appoint a Facebook legacy contact
You can add or remove a legacy contact in your account settings at any time.
To add a legacy contact:
- Click the drop-down arrow in the top right of Facebook and click Settings.
- Click Manage Account.
- Type in a friend's name and click Add.
- To let your friend know they're now your legacy contact, click send.
Note: To change or remove a legacy contact, follow steps 1 through 2 above, then click Remove. From there, you can add a new legacy contact.
VideoProc is a complete video processing toolbox for both Windows and Mac that can easily edit, resize, convert, enhance, stabilize & adjust any (4K) videos easily videos from GoPro, DJI, iPhone and any devices at fully GPU accelerated speed. Especially skilled at processing 4K videos with 30fps / 60 fps /120 fps /240 fps, large-sized videos and high speed videos shot with 120fps/240fps and slow-mo videos. Free Download of VideoProc by visiting "GoPro Studio".