(Pocket-lint) - Zoom has added virtual backgrounds to Android at last - but there seems to be a catch.
The latest update (currently version 5.3.52640.0920) adds a number of new features, including then long-requested ability to change a background to an image. However, it doesn't seem to work on all Android devices.
- Best Zoom backgrounds: Fun virtual backgrounds for Zoom meetings
- Why is my Zoom video backwards and how do I fix it?
Here we tell you how to get virtual backgrounds working on your Android device and why some of you might not be able to.
How to get Zoom virtual backgrounds working on Android
- Start or accept a meeting request and, when in a meeting and with video switched on, tap the three dots icon at the bottom right of the screen ("More").
- You will see "Virtual Background" in the pop-up that appears.
- The next pop-up will show default background options, but if you hit the "+" button you can add your own from your photo library.
- You cannot use moving backgrounds at this time, except on the Samsung Galaxy S21.
Zoom virtual backgrounds don't work for everyone
Although we've used Zoom virtual backgrounds on a number of devices, they're not supported on all phones. There doesn't seem to be any particular reason why, although flagship phones are more likely to offer it than lower spec devices. We have, however, found top tier devices that don't support the function - you'll just have to look and see.