Google has announced that its free blog service, Blogger, is about to turn 10 years old. The service was launched in 1999 by Pyra Labs, before being bought by Google in 2003.
Stating that, "blogs are one of the true building blocks of the web", the online giant has revealed some "fun facts" about the service, that read as follows:
* Every minute of every day, 270,000 words are written on Blogger
* Millions of people worldwide use Blogger to publish to their blog each week
* Almost two thirds of Blogger's traffic comes from outside North America
* The number two country after the US is Brazil, followed by Turkey, Spain, Canada, and the UK
* "Soccer, or football, is the "biggest" sport on Blogger - four times larger than the second biggest, baseball
Google says, "to the millions who have depended on Blogger to help you tell your story, thank you. To those of you who have yet to tell your story, creating a blog couldn't be easier: just visit blogger.com to get started".