We Brits sure are an unpatriotic lot, after voting a French sardine can on wheels as the best ever James Bond movie chase car.
Now pardon moi, but the Citroen 2CV barely qualifies as a voiture let alone being considered in the same category as an Aston Martin DB5 or a submersible Lotus Esprit. However, in a poll conducted by a motoring website, the chase scene from For Your Eyes Only featuring Roger Moore in that hunk of junk was voted as the very best Bond chase.
The chase easily beat the one in Goldfinger in which Sean Connery's 007 drove the mighty Aston Martin DB5 and the T-55 tank Pierce Brosnan used to demolish St Petersburg in Goldeneye. Surprisingly perhaps the coolest car ever conceived - the amphibian Esprit from The Spy Who Loved Me - limped home in just fifth place.
Of even more surprise is the fact that the awful Vanquish V12 scene in ludicrous nonsense-fest Die Another Day should make the top ten at all.
Top 10 James Bond chase sequences were:
1. Roger Moore in a Citroen 2CV - For Your Eyes Only (1981)
2= Sean Connery in an Aston Martin DB5 - Goldfinger (1964)
2= Pierce Brosnan in a T-55 tank in St Petersburg - Goldeneye (1995)
4. Roger Moore in an AMC Hornet "X" hatchback in Thailand - The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)
5. Roger Moore in a Lotus Esprit - The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
6. Timothy Dalton in a tanker chasing drug-filled tankers - Licence To Kill (1989)
7. Pierce Brosnan in a remote-controlled BMW 750 - Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)
8. Sean Connery driving a Sunbeam followed by three assassins in a hearse - Dr No (1962)
9. Timothy Dalton in an Aston Martin V8 Vantage down a snowy hillside - The Living Daylights (1987)
10. Pierce Brosnan in an Aston Martin Vanquish V12 - Die Another Day (2002)