Apple today boosted its Mac Intel and MacBook Pro offering in the UK and the US by launching a 17 inch version of its latest notebook computer.
The new model, which was predicted by industry insiders, will feature the new Intel Core Duo processor and an all new system architecture that delivers up to five times the performance of the PowerBook G4.
As with the 15 inch models, the new 17-inch MacBook Pro features a aluminum case just one inch thin, weighs only 6.8 pounds, includes a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing on-the-go, and Front Row with Apple Remote.
The new 17-inch MacBook Pro also features a MagSafe Power Adapter, invented by Apple especially for mobile users.
The new 17-inch MacBook Pro will begin shipping next week.
The 2.16 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of £1,999 in the UK and $2,799 (US), includes:
- 17-inch widescreen 1680 x 1050 LCD display with 300 cd/m2 brightness;
- 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor;
- 1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 2GB;
- 120GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;
- a slot-load 8x SuperDrive(TM) with double-layer support (DVD+R DL / DVD+/-RW / CD-RW) optical drive;
- PCI Express-based ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory;
- DVI-out port for external display (VGA-out adapter included, Composite/S-Video out adapter sold separately);
- built-in Dual Link support for driving Apple 30-inch Cinema HD Display;
- built-in iSight video camera;
- Gigabit Ethernet port;
- built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
- ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;
- three USB2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, and one FireWire 400 port;
- one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;
- Scrolling TrackPad and illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor;
- the infrared Apple Remote;
- 68 watt hour lithium polymer battery; and
- 85 watt Apple MagSafe Power Adapter.