Dell has announced an ultra lightweight laptop to its Latitude range. The new model - titled the Latitude X1 will weight in at only 1.14kg making it ideal for travelling.
Dell has also concentrated on making the model suitable for travel with a toughen backplate for the LCD - so it can cope with the pressure of an overstuffed bag placed under seat or in an overhead bin. The keyboard is also sealed to protect against spills.
Even the 12.1in, wide-aspect display has been designed to be shorter in depth than traditional screens so it can easily fit in tight spaces, including tray tables pinched by fully reclined seats.
For the lightest travel weight possible, the Latitude(tm) X1 comes with an extremely small power adapter that weighs less than 0.3 kg. When configured with the optional six-cell battery, (£65), users can expect approximately six hours of battery life while adding only 0.145 kg according to Dell.
Starting at £1039 (ex VAT and delivery), the Latitude X1 is powered by Intel's Centrino Mobile Technology, featuring the Pentium M Ultra-Low Voltage processor 733 (1.1GHz). The unit will also come with integrated Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR wireless capability and gigabit Ethernet.
Features at a glance:
- Intel® Pentium M processor 733 (1.1GHz ULV) combined with the Intel 915GMS chipset
- 12.1-inch WXGA (1280 x 768) display
- 256MB to 1.28GB of DDR2 400MHz shared-- SDRAM
- Choice of 30GB or 60GB hard drives---
- Standard internal Intel PRO wireless 2200 802.11b/g and Dell Wireless Bluetooth 350
- Choice of optional 8X DVD-ROM, 24X CD-RW/DVD combination and 8X DVD+/-RW---- optical drives, floppy disk drive, and 40GB second hard drive
- Integrated 10/100/1000 gigabit Ethernet and 56K----- V92 modem
- Ports include: two USB 2.0, VGA, headphone and microphone,
SD/IO, CompactFlash, IEEE 1394
- Optional 6-cell, 53WHr Smart Lithium Ion Battery
- Choice of Windows® XP Home or Windows XP Professional Operating System
- Dimensions: 25.0mm high, 286mm wide, 196.8 mm deep