New 8.0 million pixel COOLPIX 8700 from Nikon
PRESS RELEASE: The Coolpix 8700 is Nikon's first 8-megapixel prosumer camera. Designed to satisfy the advanced amateur or enthusiast for whom total quality, performance and convenience are the deciding factors in the decision to purchase.
With an impressive 8.0 effective megapixels for ultra high-definition photography, a powerful 8x Zoom-Nikkor ED lens, ensuring clarity of images, the Coolpix 8700 also delivers an advanced ergonomic design, which greatly enhances operational ease and comfort.
The 8.9 - 71.2mm focal range (equivalent to 35 - 280mm in 35mm  camera format), incorporates two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens elements to minimize chromatic aberration and provides clear image reproduction. In addition, the Optical Low-Pass Filter is optimized, enabling the new high-definition CCD image sensor to offer the best possible optical performance.
The basic operation of the Coolpix 8700 has also improved. Including faster start-up time, faster data recording, shorter release time lag and a new AF-Assist illuminator for quick AF operation in low light.
The camera incorporates four exposure modes: Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A] and Manual [M] combine to give you the greatest degree of creative control possible. The Coolpix 8700 also offers [AUTO] mode, in which the camera automatically selects appropriate exposures and shutter speeds, giving users high-quality point-and-shoot capability. And for striking images in practically any situation, the new Coolpix features 12 versatile [SCENE] modes. Simply select the mode appropriate to your lighting conditions, and the camera is able to automatically adjust the focus, flash, contrast, sensitivity and white balance.
The Coolpix 8700 features many advanced digital controls, such as BSS (Best Shot Selector), AE-BSS (Auto Exposure-Best Shot Selector) mode, Noise Reduction mode, Saturation Control and White Balance Bracketing. Plus a 5 shot buffer mode. Versatility is further enhanced by features such as movie capability with audio and the Time-lapse movie mode, ideal for observational recording.
The newest member of the Coolpix family comes equipped with a large, Vari-angle LCD monitor for increased visibility - even during bright daylight. Moreover, the improved high-resolution EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) offers greater contrast and clearer images. Whilst the compact, lightweight magnesium (Mg) alloy body has been designed for maximum durability and portability, with a secure, comfortable grip for stability during shooting.
New Framing guides on the LCD monitor offer an optional means of achieving ideal composition, and the new real-time histogram display lets you select the best exposure value while shooting. For those who desire more creative freedom when editing, the Coolpix 8700 also offers RAW data image mode.
The camera is supplied with standard accessories, but is also compatible with a host of optional accessories, including wideangle, telephoto and fisheye converters. It can also be fitted with a Lens Hood that uses lens filters. In addition, the Coolpix 8700's accessory shoe accommodates a number of Nikon's external Speedlights.
The camera will be available form March. Estimated RRP £899.99
* 8.0 effective megapixels
* 8x optical Zoom-Nikkor ED lens (equivalent to 35mm-280mm in 35mm  format).
* Nikon's updated, advanced image-processing algorithm on the system LSI for clear, crisp, color-accurate images
* Continuous shooting of up to 5 full-size (3,264 x 2,448-pixel) pictures at 2.5 frames per second (fps)
* Quick response: instant start up, reduced shutter release time lag and fast image processing
* 12 versatile preset Scene Modes
* Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], Aperture-Priority Auto [A] and Manual [M] exposure control modes
* Superb Macro shooting capability as close as 3cm (1.2 in.) supported by convenient Best Shot Selector (BSS) function
* AE-BSS (Auto Exposure-BSS) for automatic selection of the best relative exposure - choose from highlighted or shadowy areas
* Nikon's exclusive 256-segment Matrix Metering, complemented by Center-Weighted, Spot and Spot AF area metering
* Fast, accurate Five-Area Multi Autofocus with the new AF-assist illuminator that assures sharp focusing in difficult compositions and low light
* Fast shutter speed of 1/4,000 sec. (available in all exposure modes) and maximum 10 min. Long-time exposure modes (Bulb and Time)
* Noise Reduction mode for long-time exposures
* Saturation control (5 steps and B&W) for in-camera colour control
* 5 shot buffer mode retains the last 5 shots when the shutter button is continually pressed and then released in order to capture unexpected or fleeting moments
* Interval Timer Shooting takes a series of successive still images at preset intervals
* Movie - TV movie (640 x 480 pixels; 30 fps) with audio, Small movie (320 x 240 pixels; 15 fps) with audio, or Sepia movie (320 x 240 pixels; 5 fps) with audio, or Time-lapse movie (640 x 480 pixels; 30 fps) without audio
* Accessory shoe to accommodate attachment of external Nikon SB-series Speedlights
* Large vari-angle highly transmissible advanced TFT-LCD monitor for greater visibility - even in daylight
* The high resolution EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) enables clear image display with backlight illumination
* Tough, lightweight magnesium (Mg) alloy body featuring highly ergonomic design
* Extended battery life of approximately 210 images with Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL1, and 240 images with 2CR5
* System versatility, featuring compatibility with a wide range of COOLPIX converter lenses (Fisheye/Wideangle/Telephoto), a new filter-attachable Lens Hood and other accessories
* Nikon View Software is a highly versatile application for easy image transfer to computer, editing, e-mailing and printing
* Included accessories: Lens Cap, Camera Strap, AV Cable, USB Cable UC-E1, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL1, Battery Charger MH-53, Nikon View CD-ROM