20 September 2011, that’s the date that you need to mark in your calendar if you are a Gears of War fan after Microsoft confirmed on Wednesday that the follow up to the hugely popular Gears of War 1 and 2 would be getting a global release.
This time around the story takes place eighteen months after the events of Gears of War 2 and the loss of the human stronghold of Jacinto. Marcus, Baird, Dom and company continue their fight to save human civilisation, as they battle the Locust and face new threats from within the planet throughout the campaign mode.
According to Microsoft here is what else you can expect from 2011’s most highly anticipated Xbox 360 game:
- An enthralling cinematic story that captivates players in an intimately intense action game
- Five-on-five multiplayer experience as well as four player campaign co-op experience
- New multiplayer game modes including ‘Beast Mode’ – offering a new twist to the game where you take on the role of the locust horde and their assorted variations!
- New maps including: Trenches which features an impressive sand storm that reduces your visibility, as well as Overpass, Mercy, Checkout, and Thrashball
- New weapons including: The Bayonet Charge, The Retro Lancer, The Sawed-off Shotgun, The OneShot (a heavy sniper rifle that shoots through shields or cover for a surprise one shot kill), The Incendiary Grenade, The Digger Launcher and a few subtle tweaks to old favourites Hammerburst and The Classic Lancer.
No word however on Kinect friendly version.
And to tide you over until then here's a video of some of the gameplay we grabbed when Epic demoed the game at E3 last year: