Back to the Future trilogy heading to Blu-ray for 25th Anniversary at 88mph
The good news? It's coming to Blu-ray on 25 October (when else) later this year for you to re-enjoy in full 1080p HD action.
Available Worldwide on Blu-ray and DVD from Universal Studios Home Entertainment, the new edition has been given a clean up to achieve the "perfect picture and the purest digital sound".
Besides the films fans will get more than two hours of all new bonus features, including a six-part retrospective documentary featuring never-before-seen interviews with the cast, crew and filmmakers, including Michael J. Fox.
Exclusive features for the Blu-ray offering will include U-Control in the guise of "Setups & Payoffs" meaning that as you watch the three films, each “set up” showcases items in the scene that prepare you for a future plot point. When you get to that moment in the film, the “payoff” is shown to complete the correlation.
There will also be the ability to compare key scenes in the movie with the original storyboards, test your knowledge with a quiz, the chance to bookmark your favourite scenes from the movies, and finally an archival Featurette Back to the Future Night: Hosted by Leslie Nielson, this original 30-minute special aired on NBC prior to the first television screening of the Back to the Future.
Both the Blu-ray and DVD versions will feature Tales from the Future: a new six-part retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, director Robert Zemeckis, producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton, plus executive producer Steven Spielberg.
Other features include:
- In the Beginning: Delve into the genesis of the project, casting, re-casting, the DeLorean, sets and overall pre-production.
- Time to Go: Production stories through the release of the first film.
- Keeping Time: The score and the songs of the Back to the Future Trilogy.
- Time Flies: Learn more about how the sequel came about, the futuristic look, the special and visual effects, recreating 1955 and more.
- Third Time’s the Charm: Learn about building a western town, Doc Brown’s love story, the casting of Mary Steenburgen, the train sequence and completing the Trilogy.
- The Test of Time: Back to the Future becomes a phenomenon! President Reagan quotes the film, the Back to the Future ride opens at Universal Studios theme park and fans rebuild the iconic DeLorean. The film’s cast and crew take a look back and discuss why these beloved movies live on.
- The Physics of Back To The Future: A discussion with celebrity best-selling author and physicist Dr. Michio Kaku about the overall appreciation of the science in the Back to the Future Trilogy
- Nuclear Test Site Ending Storyboard Sequence: Storyboard sequence of the original proposed ending of the film.
16 Deleted Scenes
- Michael J. Fox Q&A
- Q&A Commentaries with director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale
- Feature Commentaries with producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
- Making the Trilogy: Chapters One, Two & Three: Original 2002 DVD documentary that takes a look back in time.
- The Making Of Back to the Future Part I, II & III: Provides a vintage and historic first look at the making of all three films.
- The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy: a televised special hosted by Kirk Cameron addressing fans unanswered Back to the Future questions.
- Behind-the-Scenes with Outtakes, Original Makeup Tests, Production Design, Storyboarding, Designing the DeLorean, Designing Time Travel, Hoverboard Test, Designing Hill Valley, and Designing the Campaign
- Back to the Future: The Ride
- Music Videos: Huey Lewis and the News “Power of Love” and ZZ Top “DoubleBack”
- Photo Galleries, Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits
- Theatrical Trailers